The Blogger

My photo
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Iris of Nostalgia

A muffled, familiar tone was playing in the distance over and over again.

As if instinct, I stretched my hand towards the pile of dirty clothes, as if a desperate predator searching for its prey. Underneath the layers of filthy clothes, I felt my cellphone. Like a prize, I took it to my face and squinted my eyes to see the time.

5:31am was on the screen. The blue light emanating from the screen of my phone gave the room an eerie aura.

I clambered off my bed and trod to the toilet with my toothbrush. Everything seem like a dream still, as if someone had placed a blotting paper in front of my eyes, making everything I see, unclear and blurry. I hate this feeling. Morning blues I assumed.

In the toilet, I saw someone familiar staring back at me. I stopped and contemplated the pasty figure.
I really hated him. Looking at him makes me feel like as if I were looking at myself, mimicking my every move.

I blink my eyes; He blinks his eyes.
I lift my left hand; He lifts his right hand.
I slap myself with my right hand; He slaps himself with his left hand.

Fed up, I started brushing my teeth ignoring the fact that he was doing the same thing in front of me.

When I was done brushing, I scampered out of the bathroom. I Looked behind me for any signs of the mime. He will be gone until I return to the toilet tomorrow morning. I really hated my college's toilet.

(Walked to my room)

I produced a key and unlocked my room's door. The sound of my keys made one of my roommates stirred in his bed. Silently, I shut the door. The alarm clock on the table designated 5:45am. I thought to myself, still early.

I flopped onto the plastic chair in front of my study desk.

I was in a car. I looked out of the window, it was dark. Everything outside tore by in a blur as the car sped ahead. With a cursory glance, I saw the speedometer indicating, 100km/hr. Shifting my attention out the window again, I saw a green board rising from the horizon. The words written on the board looked like gibberish initially, but later it became clear; and on it were a few simple words. Klang 13km. Tentatively, I turned my head toward the driver's seat, my eyes pin-pointed on the face
of the driver reflected off the rear mirror of the car, I saw...

I was reeled back in front of my study desk by the vibration of my cellphone. I flipped opened my cell and half expected Sarah's message. I opened the message:

Sarah Ho
15-Jan-2009 5:56 am
Hi. Comin now.

I slipped my phone in my pocket and headed downstairs. As I walked in the morning breeze, the Imams shouted their prayers towards the heaven. Their amplified voice reverberated across the entire campus. I bowed my head to look at the book I clutched in my hands as I walked out the gates of my college, as if paying a solemn respect for the efforts that the Imams have made that their God may hear their prayers.

Walking with confident up Sarah's car, we headed for my church's morning prayer. A different kind of prayer to a God who is benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent.

*The End*

Well, I have to admit that I am currently a bit emo. I thought back of a song which reminds me of a lot of things. Well, you might say, not the best memories lah... I will share the lyrics with you guys.

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
And I'd give up forever to touch you,
cause I know that you feel me somehow,
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be,
And I don't want to go home right now,

And all I can taste is this moment,
And all I can breathe is your life,
Cause sooner or later it's over,
I just don't wanna miss you tonight,

And I don't want the world to see me,
Cause I don't think that they'll understand,
Where everything's meant to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am.

8 comments:

  1. ermm...ur english really "geng"..if u tell everything happend everyday liked tis kind of passage..then cn becum a novel..hhahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not.. Might have mistakes lying around...
    If I wrote this about my everyday life.. it will be boring to death.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. wa.....maybe u should consider writing a book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. overall is good passage lo, me myself......u ask boon for comment. By the way, it wont boring wat if u share ur everyday life, exclude those same actions. But I found that u seems like to write all these de. It is nice until got other girls wanna know u zor. Boon is right, maybe u can write a book. I wanna hire u to help me translate something de, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are trying to express some feeling implicitely in this passage. I downloaded the Iris to listen after i read this, its really a good song. I didn't know any grammer mistake in this passage as you will be always right in my mind. =)
    Gambatte to write more passsage. I like to see it, though I don't really understand it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, this is not bad at all. just wait till I inspire you with Murakami, you'd view mundane, everyday musings in a brand new light.

    if Murakami's not on your reading list yet, I highly recommend Haruki Murakami's work. Some of his books can get pretty bizarre (in a good way)so I'd recommend you start with Norwegian Wood.

    Love to read more of these, or any other updates for that matter. keep writing!

    btw, I love this sentence in particular,

    "A different kind of prayer to a God who is benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent. "

    Amen brother, although do be careful la, certain people back home can get pretty sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the support guys... I am sure I have much to improve on...

    Btw Jon... Murukami will be the top of my reading list. Will get his/her books after I finished Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner. Did you read that? I think it's quite nice also...

    ReplyDelete