The Blogger

My photo
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Word Power

I had been thinking a lot lately; the english vocabulary is hugh, moreover it is growing everyday!

This question came to mind recently; how could I ever learn every single word in English? The answer is impossible. Well, being impossible doesn't mean that I won't try to learn as much as possible. Therefore, I came up with this idea of learning ten english words a day.

Statistically, it would be 70 words a week, and approximately 280 words a month. Do the calculation yourself.

After a few days trying, I realized that learning words individually is very inefficient. Humans tend to forget things, especially things that are unrelated (I wouldn't want to go into discussing science with you now), to make it simple, we learn things better if we could relate something with something else. As a result, I started picking 10 words from a story book everyday; look the meaning up in the dictionary and started using that 10 words to write a story, hence connecting them.

I chose 30 english words few hours ago and started writing on my laptop, it turned out (personal opinion) quite well. A bit of proofreading and it will be ready for my blog.

So, do drop by tonight, 11.00p.m.. The story will be divided into a few parts. Comments are most welcome, and are useful for future writing.

1 comment:

  1. Phwah, not bad. Its kinda like 造句 with much more artistry and creativity. I do find it easier remembering the meaning of a word from a context, still I never bother to recognize or even utilize the word, unless of course it sounds really 'cheem'(profound).

    I'll be there at 11.00. More than happy to give you my feedback. See you in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete